In order to stand out with your blogging voice, you need to be able to connect with your audience in such a way that they feel like they know you. You speak their language and understand them. You’ve been in their shoes, walked their path and you really care about them. You also need to be authentic and true to who you are. Here are my top tips to uncovering your blogging voice and standing out online:
1. Know your audience. The number one key to attracting and engaging with your ideal clients, in whatever marketing you do, is to know your audience. If you’ve read many of my other posts and when you read future posts, you will see that I repeat this many times over because it is so, so important. You will not stand out online if you don’t know and understand your audience. Do your research. Know who they are, where they hang out, what their priorities and interests are. Find out what they are struggling with and what they want. Notice how they speak/write, forget trying to impress with fancy vocabulary (unless that’s your audience), just use the language they use, their exact words where you can.
2. Know your niche. It’s important to know your audience’s and potential clients’ interests but it’s also important to know your niche and keep your content relevant to what you do and offer. Your ideal clients will have many varied interests, stay focused on creating blog posts relevant to your industry. You may love to write and create blog posts but for business, the number one reason you are creating blog posts is for SEO. Their purpose is to improve your website rankings and increase awareness about what you do. You’re not going to stand out if your posts cover a multitude of topics. Your message, your mission, your service it will all get lost amongst the noise.
3. Know yourself. Be authentic and true to who you are. Share your stories, your struggles the obstacles you’ve overcome. If you feel you have to be a completely different personality to fit in with your audience, you’ve chosen the wrong audience. Change it. This is your path, your purpose. It was given to you because you are the right person to fulfill it. You are exactly who your audience needs, wants, and has been waiting for. Okay, you may occasionally need to tone it down a notch or rev yourself up but for the most part, just be you. If people don’t like how you write, speak, do you, then they are not your tribe, they need to move on and so do you.
4. Journal often. Get your journal out and write every day. Write whatever comes to mind or have a list of journal prompts. Join the Fempreneurz Launch hub facebook group, where I’ll be sharing journal prompts every morning at 5 am. Not only does this get you used to writing freely, reading over your journal entries will give you a great insight into how you write when you are simply being you and not trying to impress.
5. Speak it. Readout loud everything you write, does it feel comfortable, natural? Or does it feel totally out of whack? You could even go one further, record yourself reading it out loud, and then play it back. Does it sound like you? If you’re happy with what you see/hear why not use it for a video post or podcast episode?
Want to get clear on your Blogging strategy and easily plan your content? Join me in the Fempreneurz Launch Hub and grab your free Blog Strategy Planner and guides.